Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Callie update - Part II

David and I visited with Callie for nearly an hour tonight. The vet took her out of her cage and put her in an exam room where we could sit with her. It was nice. She was in good spirits and purred the whole time. The vet stayed in the room with us for awhile and answered a lot of our questions. Turns out the numbers I originally threw out in my last blog entry weren't exactly accurate (I've since edited that post to reflect what the doc told us tonight). But Callie's creatinine count is definitely higher than it should be. They will be doing another blood test tomorrow morning and call us sometime before 8:30 am. If her numbers go down to a level the vet is happy with, Callie will still have a lot more obstacles to overcome. But one step at a time.

Our friend Valerie, whose father is a vet, told David today that animals can actually enjoy being at a vet's office when they're sick. She said it's a comfort to them to be alone and safe in a quiet room with room service (I'm editorializing a little). I think that's true with Callie. She seems very content and comfortable. The staff lets her out of her kennel once in awhile to explore the room, which she seems to like. It made us feel better to see her like that.

I took advantage of our relatively high spirits to ask the vet some of the tough questions. I know that if we have to make the big decision then we will not physically be capable of asking those questions then. She explained what it would be like for Callie and what we could expect if we decided to be there with her. I'm glad we talked about it. I feel it prepared us a little.

On a brighter note, Mazzy is fine. Her blood work showed no sign of health issues. So that's a relief.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's so interesting about cats enjoying the vet. I'm glad Callie is as comfortable and happy as possible. And that Mazzy's healthy! Keep us posted.