Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Blog. New Posts. New Stuff to Do.

It's time for a fresh start.

Almost two years have past since my last blog post (and yes, we finally resolved that pesky cat-in-heat issue). While hectic schedules and plain old-fashioned procrastination are on my mile-long list of excuses for not writing, my main reason has to do with the fact that I used this blog to write about what was going on in my life. Around the time of my last post, what was going on was my father was diagnosed with a brain tumor, to which he lost his battle on June 20, 2009. My father was a private man and one of my most loyal blog followers, so I didn't want him seeing his struggles posted so publicly. I also tried to maintain a brave face during that year he was sick, so I did not want to frighten him by reading about my own fears and emotions. So, I stopped.

Lately I've really missed writing, so I'm ready to come back. And while I may occasionally write a post about my dad, I promise I won't harp on it. Instead, I intend to use this blog as a launching pad for a project inspired by my father's untimely death. A project that's all about remembering to live life every day and to always have goals that you're working toward.

It's called 101 Things To Do in 1,001 Days. The object is to make a list of 101 things you want to do, like New Year's resolutions. But because, really, it's not always possible to get those resolutions done in a single year, you get to work within a more realistic time frame of just under three years. I started the project on August 22, 2009, so my deadline is May 19, 2012.

So far, it's been a lot of fun, and I feel my life is more focused. I encourage everyone to try it. It was tough coming up with 101 different goals (I started to struggle around 50), but that just encourages a little creativity. And for those of you who do not have 1,001 fingers to count, here's a calculator to figure out when your deadline will be.

So here we go. 101 Thing to Do #21: start blogging again regularly.

6 comments:

AEP_Carey said...

Karen,

I was sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, but appreciated your words of wisdom when my dad was in the hospital.

Glad to hear you're back to writing and have set a goal. (I may watch for a bit before I tackle such a grand challenge.)

Sonja Bjelland said...

Love the concept. I made a list of 100 things I wanted to do and it was a list of places I wanted to visit. Hence I'm at some dump of a motel in Thailand but between two amazing places.

Andrea said...

Yay! Karen's BACK! I used to love reading your blog. #! on my list of 101 things to do is read Karen's blog regularly!

Karen said...

Carey - Thanks. I enjoyed reading your Caring Bridge updates about your dad and am glad he's doing so well. It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending!

Karen said...

Sonja - send pictures! That sounds awesome!

Karen said...

Andrea - Aw, how sweet. But I don't know whether to be flattered or worried for you :).