Friday, July 29, 2011

Thing to Do #17: Redo Laundry Room

Redecorating our drab laundry room was way down on the household project list. But one day I found a puddle of water under our washing machine and realized it had a leak. My co-worker told me it was probably a $40 fix - just open it up and replace one inexpensive part. Well, after I failed to figure out how to open up the machine (and after my rocket-science in-laws couldn't figure it out either), David and I decided to just go ahead and buy a new washer and dryer. Stackable ones, to give us more storage space.



While we were at it, I decided we might as well paint the wall behind where the new washer and dryer would be, since this might be the last time we'd ever be able to get back there. And you can't just paint part of one wall (like the previous homeowners had done), so it seemed worth doing them all.

Along that same line of logic, we thought we might as well do the floor as well. A nice blue concrete stain did the trick.

I soon realized that the ceiling also needed new paint. Someone (probably the same person who had done the walls) had once started to paint it a light green, then changed his or her mind and painted the rest a pale yellow, then left random spots of pink.


While I was painting the ceiling, I noticed there was no cover on the light bulb. So I had to get a new globe.



I had never noticed that the trim around the doors and windows had never been painted. And neither had the old ratty-looking shelving unit some unskilled laborer had made. Out came the white paint!



Now I needed to organize the storage areas. So I went to Tuesday Morning and loaded up on pretty baskets. While I was there, I picked up some nice floor mats. And of course, an ironing board cover that matched the baskets.










The window looked drab then. So I borrowed a sewing machine and made a curtain - my first sewing project in at least 18 years. Found some fake lemon trees at a garage sale to dress up the sill.


We've always wanted a utility sink. So we hired a plumber to install one. While he was there, we had him fix the leaking gas line we had been putting off repairing. And oh, cabinets. I decided we needed cabinets.


Seven months (and a big chunk of change) later, we had our newly remodeled laundry room.


Occasionally, I spot a puddle of water under my new washing machine. I just ignore it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are your cats indoor/outdoor cats? or is the pet door for the dog?